Re: OS X & Debian LAN [was: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.]

On (11/01/06 03:48), Chinook wrote:
> I've got /netatalk/ installed and minimally configured on Debian and set
> all the appropriate switches in OS X, and I can look at and move files
> back and forth from either box if I initiate (mount) the server on my
> Mac.  I have not yet installed Howl (mdnsresponder) on the Debian box
> as I'm not sure of the benefit.
>
> There are, of course, a couple problems and I'm reluctant  to  screw
> with  things  on Debian  as I've already messed it up enough once to
> have to rollback (restored backup).
>
> 1)  I've got a Belkin 4 port router and my Mac's host name shows up in
> its configuration, but the Debian box host name there is blank (the url
> is correct).  Debian is connected to it and can access the internet and
> my Mac (if I connect from my Mac).  However when I configured Debian it
> recognized the domain name (the router) and has in the hostname file the
> proper host name, but that host name does not show up when looking at
> the router configuration (which I access from my Mac with Safari or my
> Debian box with Firefox).  The proper url (192.168...) does but the host
> name is blank.

On my LAN router (Vigor2600) I don't see hostnames for Linux clients -
I've wondered why but didn't think it was sufficiently important to
spend time on.... nevertheless I'd be interested to know thw answer :)

> When I connect to (mount) the Debian box as an AppleTalk server from my
> Mac, I used the url.  Does anyone know why the Debian host name is not
> getting through to the router?
>
> 2)  Also, even though I can get the connection up (initiate it) from my
> Mac,  I can't seem to figure out how to get it up (initiate it) from my
> Debian box.  The Gnome network control only shows a stupid windoze net
> icon (gotta get rid of that).  With the net tools on Debian I can ping
> and trace the Mac url (192.168...) so it seems to know where to find the
> Mac.  I'm missing something obvious here %-\

I'm using samba and I've always found network browsing to be erratic at
best.  I use fstab to hard mount server shares.

Not much help I'm afraid :(

Regards

Clive

--