Re: OS X & Debian LAN [was: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.]

I've got /netatalk/ installed and minimally configured on Debian and set all the appropriate switches in OS X, and I can look at and move files back and forth from either box if I initiate (mount) the server on my Mac. I have not yet installed Howl (mdnsresponder) on the Debian box as I'm not sure of the benefit.

There are, of course, a couple problems and I'm reluctant to screw with things on Debian as I've already messed it up enough once to have to rollback (restored backup).

1) I've got a Belkin 4 port router and my Mac's host name shows up in its configuration, but the Debian box host name there is blank (the url is correct). Debian is connected to it and can access the internet and my Mac (if I connect from my Mac). However when I configured Debian it recognized the domain name (the router) and has in the hostname file the proper host name, but that host name does not show up when looking at the router configuration (which I access from my Mac with Safari or my Debian box with Firefox). The proper url (192.168...) does but the host name is blank. When I connect to (mount) the Debian box as an AppleTalk server from my Mac, I used the url. Does anyone know why the Debian host name is not getting through to the router?

2) Also, even though I can get the connection up (initiate it) from my Mac, I can't seem to figure out how to get it up (initiate it) from my Debian box. The Gnome network control only shows a stupid windoze net icon (gotta get rid of that). With the net tools on Debian I can ping and trace the Mac url (192.168...) so it seems to know where to find the Mac. I'm missing something obvious here %-\

I have not played with the separate /vsftp/ thingy yet. Any suggestions, off color comments :-) whatever are appreciated. I'm gonna sleep on it.
Thanks,
Lee C

"*nix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends."