Re: Xorg eats my CPU

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 02:21:08PM +0100, Kevin Glynn wrote:
> I am running (up to date) Debian unstable on my laptop, it has a
> Radeon IGP 340M graphics chip. For the last month or so I am seeing
> the Xorg process gradually gobble up more and more CPU, up to 30/40%
> and in some cases 99%.

Yes, I see this too, and have seen it ever since unstable switched from
xfree86 to Xorg.

It happens periodically - the load average on my machine shoots up,
stays high for ten or so minutes, and then gradually drops off again.

This occurs on every machine I've got that is running Xorg. Two of them
have ATI cards, but the third has an nVidia card.

> But the big CPU problems are seen when I run mozilla-firefox, since
> usually when I kill firefox Xorg recovers.

I run galeon (rather than firefox), but it never seems to be
particularly high in top's output when the problem happens.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584