Re: Linux Distribution Chooser

Joris Huizer wrote:
> I think, if the newbie just wants kde because of some fancy screenshots,
> it's too hard for him/her; remember the newbie doesn't know the
> character '/' upons up a search in so many linux/unix tools, so he/she
> is completely lost in an unknown interface
> Why would it complicate matters so much to add a menu item in the
> tasksel selection labeled 'KDE desktop' that ads 'kde' to the list of
> packages to download (as aptitude will do the rest) ? I do not
> understand :-s

    No, you don't.  In tasksel if you select GUI both are installed.  The only
thing the newbie has to do is select his interface the first time he logs in
from GDM.  That's the problem the other poster has.  That both are installed.

    Why?  Think of that newbie.  They see a screenshot and think it's cool.
Well, given the fluid nature of Linux desktops whatever screenshot he has
could be any DE or WM.  The two most common and sought after DEs are installed
because the chances of them knowing the difference between KDE and Gnome are
about the same as Free (as in beer) and free (as in rights).