RE: TCP not working over ppp connection (WAS: 5th day using Linux...)

kernel version:     uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTS 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

installed modules:  lsmod
This gives me a long list of modules. I do not see anything that looks to be
related with ppp, network or tcp. How do I get outputs of these commands to
be dumped to a txt file on a floppy disk?

network status:     ifconfig
I have listed an Eth0, which does not work. For some reason the 2.6 kernel,
after the initial install, sees my NIC as Eth1. I have not configured Eth1
yet because I want to focus on this problem. But Eth0 is listed with a very
long hardware address, no IP information and no traffic.

I have lo assigned to 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0 No traffic there ether.

I have ppp0 listed with a valid IP address  (I can ping it from the
outside), Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol Inet addr:70.218.54.229 P-t-P
66.174.26.4 Mask 255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICASE
MTU:0 Metric:1
Rxpackets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
Txpackets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 Collosions:0
txqueuelen:3 RX bytes:3687 (3.6 KiB) TX bytes:3845 (3.7 KiB)

netfilter config:   iptables -L
ip_tables: 2000-2002 Netfilter Core Team

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
Target	prot opt source	destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
Target	prot opt source	destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
Target	prot opt source	destination

Ok this last command looks like a network filter output. Should there not be
more information there?

Tyson Varosyan
Technical Manager, Uptime Technical Solutions LLC.
tyson@up-times.com
www.up-times.com
206-715-TECH (8324)

UpTime/OnTime/AnyTime