Re: TCP not working over ppp connection (WAS: 5th day using Linux...)

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:56:10 -0800
"Tyson Varosyan" <tigran@tigran.com> wrote:

> kernel version:     uname -a
> Linux debian 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTS 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> installed modules:  lsmod
> This gives me a long list of modules. I do not see anything that looks to be
> related with ppp, network or tcp. How do I get outputs of these commands to
> be dumped to a txt file on a floppy disk?

easy, type you're command like this:

lsmod > outfile.txt

that tells the shell to redirect stdout (standard output) to the file outfile.txt.

> network status:     ifconfig
> I have listed an Eth0, which does not work. For some reason the 2.6 kernel,
> after the initial install, sees my NIC as Eth1. I have not configured Eth1
> yet because I want to focus on this problem. But Eth0 is listed with a very
> long hardware address, no IP information and no traffic.
>
> I have lo assigned to 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0 No traffic there ether.
>
> I have ppp0 listed with a valid IP address  (I can ping it from the
> outside), Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol Inet addr:70.218.54.229 P-t-P
> 66.174.26.4 Mask 255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICASE
> MTU:0 Metric:1
> Rxpackets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> Txpackets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 Collosions:0
> txqueuelen:3 RX bytes:3687 (3.6 KiB) TX bytes:3845 (3.7 KiB)
>
> netfilter config:   iptables -L
> ip_tables: 2000-2002 Netfilter Core Team
>
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> Target	prot opt source	destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> Target	prot opt source	destination
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> Target	prot opt source	destination
>

> Ok this last command looks like a network filter output. Should there not be
> more information there?

not if you have no filtering setup. I think that's right. okay, so use that command above to send us the output of lsmod and ifconfig. also you might include

dmesg | grep eth[01] > outfile.txt

as that might have some info as to why you have eth 0 and 1.

You say you can ping outside addresses? and dns works to? such as

ping www.google.com

works for you?

what is output from wget or apt-get ?