Re: do I really need "make-kpkg clean"?

On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:39:17 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf
<riteshsarraf@users.sourceforge.net> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Ah, if you understand Makefiles, you already know that you do not
>> have to call make-kpkg clean. The clean requirement is for people
>> who do _not_ understand Makefiles.
>>

> Yes, I do understand Makefiles a little. But when I build my kernel
> packages I don't want to manually go into that particular folder
> (say /usr/src/linux-x.x/video/) and do a make manually and come back
> and then build the package.

        eew. Yes, that is very bad.

> make-kpkg is an excellent tool to ease and automate the kernel
> building process and I want to enjoy it.  Is it harmful implementing
> the clean-all/force option ?

	It would be bloat. There is no secure way of ensuring that the
 changes made require a clean, or not. Ideally, when older kernels go
 out of circulation, and we find we can trust the kernel-build system
 to DTRT, we could reconsider this. But, at this point, you need a
 human to decide when to clean, and when an incremental rebuild is
 fine.

        You can do an incremental rebuild of the .deb already, and the
 clean vs clean all is not needed for people who can tell the
 difference; and for the rest, I would rather wait until it can be
 implemented cleanly.

	manoj
--
Whitehead's Law: The obvious answer is always overlooked.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>