Re: migrating from RedHat to Debian without losing configuration

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 15:01 -0400, H. S. wrote:

> Wonder what number the "standard" UID's start with? 500, 1000, ...???

As far as I can tell (from Aeleen Frisch and Evi Nemeth books on system
administration) there is no standard. It's up to the sysadmin.

When I ran into the RH/Debian problem, I used Webmin to change the UIDs
in the RH password file to match those in the Debian. When you change a
UID with Webmin, there's an option that will go through the filesystem
and change that UID everywhere. It took a while, but they're consistent
now. If you use Webmin to create users too, there's an option in the
module's config to set the beginning UID.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com