Re: migrating from RedHat to Debian without losing configuration

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 02:23:28PM +0000, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are planning on migrating a few machines from RedHat to Debian and were
> wondering whether there exists some way of reusing the red hat configuration
> files for the Debian configuration. In other words, can a new Debian install
> take over the information in config files for samba, nfs, /etc/passwd, etc., in
> order to avoid having to reconfigure everything manually ?
>
> Any pointers to relevant info or programmes are more than welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Moritz
Hi Moritz,
the first thing is to find equivelant packages (rpm->deb) and do a base
install. then install the equivelent packages. Debian does great work in
setting default package config and settings. After that do a comparison
of /etc on both (maybe just to see which are on both) and then edit the
similar ones by hand (yuck). And then see what things are lost or move
or have debian equivelants with different names. Debian has some
debian-only files like /etc/network/interfaces and tries to follow the
lsb and fsh when possible. This is more evident in sarge then woody and
more will done in etch.
try to start editing /etc for a few packages and run the system for a
short time before adding more /etc changes. After some testing, you
should be up in no time. If you run into any funny bussiness, ask the
list. also, it would be invaluable to make a blog or notes or HOWTO as
this will be done by other (hehehe) as soon as Sarge is out (coming to a
theatre near you!)
good luck and have fun!
kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!