Re: migrating from RedHat to Debian without losing configuration

Apparently, _Glenn English_, on 05/03/2005 02:35 PM,typed:
On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 13:02 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Some are standard (like the /etc/passwd, and so on).

Even for those though, things like UIDs for daemons etc. differ.

And from RH7.3 to Debian Sarge, the UIDs for users change dramatically,
too (from 500+ to 1000+).

Yes. I triple boot between Windows XP, Debian Sarge and FC2. When I first installed Debian and was already running Redhat 8.0, I faced the trouble of accessing one home directory from the other because of different UIDs in Redhat and Sarge. After a system reinstall, I just created FC2 users with explicit UIDs starting from 1000, the same as in Debian (I kept /home different for both).

Wonder what number the "standard" UID's start with? 500, 1000, ...???

->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)