Re: silly question

Blake Swadling wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 21:26 -0800, Gordon Jackson wrote:
I can’t believe that I am going take a swing at this pulpy dead horse,
but I can’t resist J

    1. From “The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing”: /deb'ee`n/,
       *not* /deeb'ee`n/

Additionally: The name Debian is a contraction of DEB(ra) and IAN
Murdock.

    1. Aluminum has one ‘i’ unless you’re from the UK, where it is
       Aluminium – this is a variant of Aluminum, not the other way
       around.

Hmm i think from where i sit (not in the UK) it is Aluminium, and
Aluminum is a case where spelling has been altered to fit the
(mis)pronunciation

I'm a chemist at a chemistry institution and from where I sit it is Aluminum. I can't find one periodic table in this building with approx 600 people in it plus students which says otherwise. Then again I'm in the US. However the CRC handbook of Chemistry and Physics spells it this way, as well as the International Union Of Pure and Applied Chemistry(IUPAC), who standardize the naming of chemical compounds for the world.

Sorry for sending this directly to you first Blake.