Re: Memory usage (avoid swapping, top accuracy...)

On 2005-12-31 12:14:12 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Yes, precisely because this is a laptop (i.e. it is sometimes offline).
> > Also, I currently have only the laptop here; so, I have the choice
> > between having the news locally or read/post after ssh'ing a remote
> > machine. I prefer the former solution.
>
>     Again, do you NEED Apache and innd? Answer, no. wwwoffle and
> noffle are far better solutions for on/offline usage.

Does wwwoffle support content negociation, CGI and Perl filtering?
Does noffle support remote connections?

> > I don't think so. Well, after the reboot, my machine is quite
> > responsive. Disabling spamd probably helped (and the reboot too).

BTW, I may need to reactivate spamd later; I'm currently testing
the antivirus/antispam service of my ISP, but I've had several
false positives with it, without any report to the remote side.
I may also try spamd on the machine hosting my virtual domain,
where I have much more control, hoping it won't take too much
CPU time.

>     This is a FAQ. Lemme ask this one question. Are you concerned
> about swap size or are you concerned about active swapping?

My machine swaps a lot, in particular after running a process that
needed a lot of memory (several dozens of MB), for instance dpkg
(it can take more than 100 MB). Also, spamd (with bayesian filter)
was one of the culprits: since I've disabled it, the PowerBook is
much more responsive (but see above).

>  Two different things. If your concerned about the former and there
> is very little of the latter here's your answer.

Well, I don't know what you mean exactly, but I have enough swap
space: I've almost never run out of (virtual) memory (when I did,
it was due to a bug).