Re: Memory usage (avoid swapping, top accuracy...)

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 17:23 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have some information about memory usage and how to
> improve it.
>
> First, I have a PowerBook under Debian, with 256 MB RAM (physical
> memory) and 512 MB swap. As this machine often swaps, I did some
> tests, doing the sum Mem used + Swap used with the "top" command:
>
> Booting and logging in ... 184 MB (main daemons + apache2 + innd + spamd)

Presumably, you *need* apache2 & innd running on a /laptop/?

> Stopping spamd daemon .... 148 MB
> Starting X (Xorg) ........ 231 MB (fvwm2 + ROX-Filer + Liferea + 3 xterm)

This is a bit misleading, since it is my understanding that X will
map video RAM, and thus it will seem like X is using more than it
really is.

> Exec emacs / quit ........ 241 MB
> Firefox with 28 tabs ..... 251 MB
> Exec emacs / quit ........ 247 MB

Anything else you can kill?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted
by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."
Rod Serling