Re: kernel 2.4.* vs 2.6.* and ATAPI dvd question

On Friday 30 December 2005 09:24, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net>
(<[🔎] 20051230162407.GB5857@bordello.co-ho.net>) wrote:

> On Thursday, 29 December 2005 at 22:12:26 -0700, Jules Dubois wrote:
> [...]
>> SCSI emulation is not required in v2.6.
>
> I keep reading this, but xcdroast and so on still complain every time
> that I should use SCSI emulation even though the kernel is 2.6.x.

I haven't used xcdroast, so I can't say.  Does it work without SCSI
emulation?

K3b gives me warnings about permissions on the cdrecord binaries, but I've
discovered that I don't need to pay any attention.  IIRC, there was some
change in kernel 2.8.1 that caused the K3b developers to add the helpful
warning; I think this was changed back in some subsequent kernel version.

> Is some other adjustment or setting needed instead?

Does xcdroast use cdrecord to actually write the disks?  cdrecord has and
still has some useless messages about "unresolved issues" in Linux "2.5",
which now represent nothing more than a bad attitude on the part of its
developer.  There were no "issues" and there are no "issues".

To the author's credit, cdrecord is still an excellent program.