Re: Cannon PowerShot A410

[KS] wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
And another thing: when connecting the USB cable, make sure you have the
camera in *playback* mode. If you don't, there won't be any connection
and you'll be checking your cables all over the place, like I did.

I don't why Canon can't stick to one method. Different cameras have
different methods of connecting to the computer. For example, my G5
starts in playback mode automatically when connected to the USB port.
After downloading the pictures, I don't even have to turn it off as it
does that by itself.

The "mode" is selected with a "mode dial" wheel in the A410. Turning off is also automatic. But at first I had the mode dial set to "auto" when I plugged in the USB and that produced 0 results. Of course Canon's manuals have nothing to say about Linux. What Cannon does is strictly M$, as per
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

Gphoto2 is superb. Does the job right away. The only trick being that if you roll your own kernel the way I do, you must be sure the right USB modules get loaded. Otherwise nothing at all happens. I haven't tried Knoppix 4.0.2 yet if that would work with the A410.

This non-standardisation becomes a problem when one
has two cameras (both Canon) at home and they employ different methods.
Imagine what happens when I buy my next one!

/ks