Re: Is there a GPL substitute for RealPlayer?

Bryan G wrote:
i found this, I haven't installed it yet but it claims to replace realplayer without the problems of realplayer taking over your PC
http://www.codecguide.com/download_real.htm

I find that mplayer is a far better substitute for what I used to use RealPlayer for: mp3 streams.

1. You can record and play at the same time w/o using vsound.
2. The quality of the sound is far better.
3. OpenSource. None of that hide how it works stuff.
4. Textmode. Runs on the textconsole.

I am listening right now to KUSC with mplayer at the same time it is recording the stream.