Re: Why does Debian default to Gnome?

On 12/28/05, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> The Gnome package is a dummy.  It pulls in its components by depending on
> them.  Thus when you remove any of its components it gets removed as well.
> However, since it has no contents, removing it does no harm.  This
> obviously needs to be better documented.

Or, better yet, modified so that removing an application doesn't cause
the user to be presented with the scary demand that they also remove
"gnome". I'm not too familiar with the packages, but I understand
there's an "optional" type as opposed to a "required" type. If
Evolution was "optional" would it force the user to confirm removing
gnome as well?