How can I play avi, wmv, mov videos on a standalone DVD player?

I'd like to play video clips in .avi, .wmv and .mov format
on a standalone DVD player that's hooked up to a standard
TV set.  The particular unit is a Magnavox MDV456/17.  It's
able to play commercial movie DVD's, audio CD's, finalized
DVD+R's and DVD+RW's, and VCD's but it doesn't support
DivX/XviD.  It also doesn't play CD's and DVD's which
contain avi, wmv and mov videos that I downloaded from the
web and burned on the Samsung CD/DVDW TS-H552U
burner/player in my computer.

Is there a way to convert these avi, wmv and mov files to a
format and on media that this dedicated DVD player can
handle?  I'm running Debian Sarge.

TIA,

Robert