Re: Can Grub bypass menu.lst when it contains an error?

Clive Menzies wrote:
On (28/12/05 07:27), Bill Moseley wrote:

I added a splashscreen to grub, but had a typo in the device: (hd1,0)
instead of (hd0,0).

This caused grub to continue to cycle upon boot (I guess trying to
read the non-existent drive) before the boot menu is shown.  I
couldn't see how to get grub to just ignore menu.lst on boot and give
me a grub prompt -- for example, by holding down a special key
sequence.

Did I miss something obvious in the docs?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#General-boot-methods

You could try holding 'c' which is what you do on Debian From Scratch to
get a grub prompt:

http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/dfs.html

Regards

Clive

Or you can use a liveCD and fix your Grub's menu.lst.

--
Cheers

--
Gabriel Parrondo
Linux User #404138

"In theory there's no difference between the theory and the practice. In the practice There is."