Re: Can Grub bypass menu.lst when it contains an error?

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 03:38:23PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (28/12/05 07:27), Bill Moseley wrote:
> > I added a splashscreen to grub, but had a typo in the device: (hd1,0)
> > instead of (hd0,0).
> >
> > This caused grub to continue to cycle upon boot (I guess trying to
> > read the non-existent drive) before the boot menu is shown.  I
> > couldn't see how to get grub to just ignore menu.lst on boot and give
> > me a grub prompt -- for example, by holding down a special key
> > sequence.
> >

> You could try holding 'c' which is what you do on Debian From Scratch to
> get a grub prompt:

That seems to only work if the splashscreen works -- otherwise, it
seems to try and load the splashscreen before processing the "c" so
that's not a way around the problem.

Another reason to keep a bootable cd around.

Luckily I had a netinstall cd still in my cd tray. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org