Re: Xft, X Resources, TrueType Fonts

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 05:22:23PM -0600, Adam Fabian wrote:
> But, xlsfonts and xfontsel don't show anything like this, and trying
> something like:
>
> XTerm*font: Bitstream Vera Mono
>
> in my .Xresources gets me messages like:
>
> xterm:  unable to open font "Bitstream Vera Mono", trying "fixed"....
>
> I've tried '' and "" as quotes around the font name, and didn't get
> anywhere.  Does anyone know how I can specify a TrueType font in my
> .Xresources file?

There's a reason why xterm's man page contains the following, you know...

       -fa pattern
               This option sets  the  pattern  for  fonts  selected  from  the
               FreeType  library if support for that library was compiled into
               xterm.  This corresponds to the faceName resource.  When a  CJK
               double-width  font  is  specified, you also need to turn on the
               cjkWidth resource.

       faceName (class FaceName)
               Specify  the  pattern  for  fonts  selected  from  the FreeType
               library if support for that library was  compiled  into  xterm.
               There is no default.  If not specified, or if there is no match
               for both normal and bold fonts, xterm uses the font and related
               resources.

Which leads to resources like:

XTerm*VT100.faceName:   monotype.com
XTerm*VT100.faceSize:   8

Don't have any idea how you'd have found '-fa', and not actually have read
what it says.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Fear and loathing, my man, fear and loathing.  --
 msw@cox.net |     H.S. Thompson