Xft, X Resources, TrueType Fonts

I can perfectly well start an xterm like this:

xterm -fa "Bitstream Vera Mono" -fs 10

And actually get the Bitstream Vera Mono font in the selected size.
But, xlsfonts and xfontsel don't show anything like this, and trying
something like:

XTerm*font: Bitstream Vera Mono

in my .Xresources gets me messages like:

xterm:  unable to open font "Bitstream Vera Mono", trying "fixed"....

I've tried '' and "" as quotes around the font name, and didn't get
anywhere.  Does anyone know how I can specify a TrueType font in my
.Xresources file?