Re: Question

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 07:44:43PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> In any case, I don't think anything should stay in copyright for 50 years.

Well, I agree.  I think it should go back to the original (if you're in the
U.S.) of 14 years + 14 renewal.  European copyrights are even more insane than
ours.  The U.S. copyright extensions in the recent past were supposedly to
make us closer to European sensibilities, but really it was to protect Mickey
Mouse.  As long as Disney and the other corps are getting indefinite
copyrights, I'm certainly not going to put my code in the public domain and
give it to them for free, even if it has been 50 years (assuming I live that
long).  People in general, and certain corporations especially cry about the
GPL a lot, but as it is written now, it accomplishes nearly everything I want
as a software author.  Since I like it as it is, I don't have much to gain by
the "version 2 or later" clause.