Re: Question

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 05:32:48PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> Daniel Webb writes:
> > I'm wary of that, because I don't really trust that 50 years from now the
> > GPL is still going to reflect my values.
>
> So what?  You can distribute your code under any license at any time no
> matter what license you have used in the past.

It's a question of control.  Suppose Stallman dies and someone takes over the
FSF who thinks the GPL should be more like BSD.  If I used the "version 2 or
later" clause in the past, I just lost control of my code.  Sure, I can
license under a different license from then on, but that's a moot point if
people can get it under a BSD license, isn't it?

If I license using "version 2 only", I can relicense too, but *I* get to make
that decision, not the board of the FSF.  The more I think about it, the more
that makes sense to me.