Re: installing amd64 kernel

Aaron Stromas wrote:
Greetings,
I received a number of advices on installation of my AMD Athlon 64 machine. This far I only was successful with (K)ubuntu. At one time I thought I got the Debian daily installer to detect my built-in nVidia Ethernet, but I was wrong. I've burned too many CDs and I was actually booting off an Ubuntu CD. I submitted a bug and received a response that network detection isn't supported due to inability to detect the PCI ID. I was also advised to try Etch, however, I wasn't successful with the daily image. Isn't it Etch? Len Sorensen pointed out the motherboard is supposed to have two network ports. Turns out it's true, except the second port is FireWire. The Ubuntu installed picked it out. I have never used Firewire networking, nor do I have a cable for it, so I'm going to ignore it for now. Here are a couple of question I have for the list. I initially did Kubuntu server install and ended up with no root (sudo passwd!) and one root huge (79G) partition and a 3G swap partition. The I attempted to do an expert install, found a multiseat option which created several partitions for me. Unfortunately, it failed to install GRUB (and LILO), so I have to redo the installation hoping for the best. The installer creates ext3 filesystems. I'd like to try the reiserfs. Can I do that at the install time? I also didn't see how I can adjust partition size, not how to create additional partitions within the installer. Is that possible? I remember that last time I installed debian, I ended up creating only root (and swap), then, after finishing the install, I manually created partitions and filesystems for /usr, /var, /home and the rest and edited fstab. Should I go that way? Except, I can't remember whether I have an option to create only a small root. Finally, assuming I succeed in setting up the system the way I like, can I simply edit the sources file to return back to the Debian fold?
Thanks in advance,
-a

I had similar problems installing from the netinstall but luckily I had an old PCI card to slot in. I eventually found the answer on the Nvidia site.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/amd64/1.0-0306/KnownProblems.html

Adding the 'acpi_skip_timer_override' option to the boot prompt fixed it for me. Try installing the base system then edit grub to append this option and reboot to see if it works.

AFAIK the newer kernels seem to detect the nforce4 chipset and automatically disable this function. You could try the sid boot disk?

This worked for me, YMMV.

HTH

Wackojacko