Re: [audio problem] Audio skips

Thomas Jollans wrote:
> belbo wrote:
>

>>Peter Nuttall wrote:
>>

>>>On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:41:25PM +0100, belbo wrote:
>>>

>>[...]
>>>>

>>>renice esd 10 (or -10, I can't remember which )
>>>

>>I'm not running esd.
>>

>>>[...]
>>>
>>>I can't think what is going wrong, unless you have the wrong driver for
>>>your soundcard or there is a bug in the sound system.
>>>

>>I've noticed a very strange behaviour. I run skype with a OSS wrapper called
>>"aoss". When I switch desktop (or I load a web page), aoss writes down these
>>messages:
>>
>>write error, written = 256
>>write error, written = 256
>>write error, written = 256
>>write error, written = 546
>>write error, written = 770
>>write error, written = 320
>>
>>It can mean that X produces some sort of audio crap on refreshing.
>>This sounds crazy, but I can observe it quite clearly. Audio skips exactly on
>>errors. If I don't switch desktop etc etc., audio works fine.
>>
>>Does it mean there is a oss related bug in Xorg?
>>

> of in gnome ?
> I have similiar problems on gnome, but can't remember having them on kde...

I have the same problems on kde. I noticed if I increase process priority of the
reader (nice -n -20 mplayer) audio doesn't skip any more, but I have 2 questions:

1) how can I increase process priority *without* root permission or sudo?
2) is it dangerous for system stability increasing priority of foreground processes?

Thank,
Belbo