Re: [audio problem] Audio skips

Peter Nuttall wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 04:26:22PM +0100, belbo wrote:

[...]
> The only thing that springs to mind is that you might have X niced to
> some value like 10 and its stealing too much cpu time. renice can fix
> this.

Yes, my Xorg has -10 priority. And Gnome is quite slow even with -10. X How can
I put value down? Which value can I try? Does it make any sense increase player
priority? Audio never skipped, probably an upgrade changed some priority.

> Any other guess is going to need more infomation, such as:
>
> 1) what version of debian are you running?

Debian Testing Etch, updated with apt every day.

> 2) what are your system specs?

* CPU:                  Athlon XP+ 2400
* MOTHERBOARD:          motherboard ASUS A7V8X
* AUDIO card:         Creative SoundBlaster Live! 1024
* VIDEO card:         nVidia GForce4 Ti 4200 128MB

> 3) are you runnning a desktop like KDE or GNOME?

Yes, last version of Gnome.

> 4) what kernel are you running?

kernel 2.6.12-1-k7

> 5) is your system normally heavily loaded?

Firefox, Thunderbird, aMule, amarok always loaded in user space. Neither servers
nor services loaded in system space.

> 5) what are you using to play your song or movie?

I tried almost every player: mplayer, amarok, totem, xine, but audio stream
skips in the same way even with mpg321.

Thank you for helping,
Belbo