Re: Partitioning problem -- no writepermission to partitiontable

Søren Christensen wrote:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:30:05PM +0100, Paolo Pantaleo wrote:

2005/12/19, Søren Christensen <severino@ulvedalen.dk>:

[snip]

However the issue still stands, I'm not able to change the size of the
one partition containing Win XP.

Well, here is another clue: qtparted reports, that support for ntfs
filesystem is not implemented yet.

Odd. I made a dual-boot WinXP/Linux machine from a Compaq Presario
October a year ago. IIRC, I used the "systemrescuecd" (http://www.sysresccd.org/) to repartition the NTFS disc with
no problem.

One thing to look for on these machines: if you replace the MBR
with GRUB or LILO or the like, they like to go into "system recovery
mode" where they undo the changes you made. With these machines
it is better (IMO) to let the Windows Boot Manager manage the boot
(if you want dual boot, that is). You can still use GRUB or whatever
after that, and even boot different versions of Linux using GRUB
or LILO if you like.

Trying to do a resize, it ends with the error-message: Filesystem check
failed! Totally 1 cluster accounting mismatches.

Hmm. I find that statement somewhat difficult to interpret. Does it
mean 1 total mismatch, with a discrepance of 20 GB? or does it mean
that there is a mismath, with a difference of 1 cluster? BTW, what
is a cluster? That's an old MSDOS term.

I just ran a filesystem check from Win XP, it ended succesfully, that
is, reporting no errors.

[snip]

The partition list lists two partitions, a small "unused" partition of 7
MB and a large partition which occupies the rest of the disk, formatted
with ntfs. Containing Win XP.

Odd, also. You should have two partitions on there... one of them the
Compaq rescue partition.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.