Re: Partitioning problem -- no writepermission to partitiontable

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:30:05PM +0100, Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> 2005/12/19, Søren Christensen <severino@ulvedalen.dk>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Trying to install sarge (net-inst.) on a laptop (Compaq Presario 2100),
> > but fails to partitionate harddisk.
> >
> > Using Knoppix, qtparted started via root-konsole, qtparted reports:
> > Unable to open /UNIOINFS/dev/hdc read-write (Read-only file system).
> > /UNIONFS/dev/hdc has been opened read-only.
> >
> > Using the Sarge-installer, it also fails to change the partition-size.
> >
> > What shall I do, to get read-write-permissions?
> >
> > Thanks
> > /Severino
> >

> > --
> >

> hdc is usually a CD-ROM (the master of second IDE channel).
You're right! so that's not the problem.

However the issue still stands, I'm not able to change the size of the
one partition containing Win XP.

Well, here is another clue: qtparted reports, that support for ntfs
filesystem is not implemented yet.

Trying to do a resize, it ends with the error-message: Filesystem check
failed! Totally 1 cluster accounting mismatches.

I just ran a filesystem check from Win XP, it ended succesfully, that
is, reporting no errors.

> How can yopu say the problem you have running knoppix is the same you
> have running Sarge-installer?

I didn't mean to say, that it is the same thing. In terms of effect =>
not being able to change the Win XP partition-size, but perhaps it is
two different problems.

I just tried another time with sarge-installer, and at least I'm not
able to find out how to change the size of the partition with the
installer.

Some one on this list gave me theimpression, that this was possible.

The partition list lists two partitions, a small "unused" partition of 7
MB and a large partition which occupies the rest of the disk, formatted
with ntfs. Containing Win XP.

Can anyone guide me throug this proces?

/Severino