Does SATA ICH7 south bridge work?

Can you confirm if ICH7 chipset works reliably on Debian with Linux software raid?

Some background: A customer of mine is getting a system from Evesham following recurring problems with active directory and exchange - very nice too. However, I'd like to use Debian on it to get away from active directory completely.

Trouble is that although Evesham are fine supplier they are not a Linux shop...the server is described as a "200NH using an ICH7 south bridge", It is one of those systems with the sata raid controller built into the motherboard.

Also can you recommend a reasonable cost Sata card that does work production style with Debian...so that if the above does have problems I have a rescue plan.

Huge and many thanks,

Berni