Re: Does SATA ICH7 south bridge work?

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 09:02 +0000, Berni Elbourn wrote:
> Can you confirm if ICH7 chipset works reliably on Debian with Linux
> software raid?
>
> Some background: A customer of mine is getting a system from Evesham
> following recurring problems with active directory and exchange - very
> nice too. However, I'd like to use Debian on it to get away from active
> directory completely.
>
> Trouble is that although Evesham are fine supplier they are not a Linux
> shop...the server is described as a "200NH using an ICH7 south bridge",
> It is one of those systems with the sata raid controller built into the
> motherboard.
>
> Also can you recommend a reasonable cost Sata card that does work
> production style with Debian...so that if the above does have problems I
> have a rescue plan.

i use software raid on a ich7 sata.

and i needed 2.6.12 or more recent kernel in order to detect the drives.
but with 2.6.14 it's been working fine for the last week.  and i use it
for my desktop workstation all the time.

you wont be able to install using the regular sarge installer.
so if you want sarge use a 2.6.12 installer or a chroot/debootstrap
install

with regards
Ronny Aasen