Re: New User/No GUI

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:15:50PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On any system, it seems to make sense that the cli interface is
> runlevel 3, and the x interface is runlevel 5.  I'm not really sure
> what runlevels 1,2 & 4 are for unless its to be able to customize the
> system to do what you want that might be different from the normal
> users of 3 & 5.  And no one seems to have documented very well, or
> called it to my attention, the debian methods & reasons, its 'just
> debian'.

  Debian uses runlevel 2 by default, and there is no difference between
 the modes 2-5.

  0 == halt.
  1 == single user
  6 == reboot.

  There is a nice introduction here:

  I've always considered it strange that Redhat derived distributions
 dedicate a different runlevel to "console" and "X11" - but I guess it
 is something that people are used to now.  Changing runlevel setup
 or init systems is reasonably unlikely partly because it is the way
 we've done it for so long, and mostly because it is something 99% of
 users never care about or notice.

  Debian does have a nice tool to add/remove scripts for different
 runlevels and that does the job that most users care about -
 adding/removing a script:

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/