New User/No GUI

This is my first post, please tell me if I am in the wrong place and possibly suggest where I need to be. I am fairly new to Linux. I have installed Suse and Ubuntu. I am really interested in Debian and have read everything in the install instructions. I have tried the auto install and the expert26 install. In the case of the autoinstall I received no choice for gnome or kde. Unfortunately I did not get that choice in the expert26 either. I did install all 15K+packages. After I got to the command prompt I switched to su mode and did an apt-get install gnome. It went through the install process and brought me ultimatley back to a command prompt. Then I tried init 5 and that is where it ends. I get switching to runlevel 5, and
sending process the term signal and it hangs right there.
	Can anyone point me towards an answer to my plight?

Thank You
Charlie