Re: New User/No GUI

On Thursday 15 December 2005 18:54, Andrew Cady wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 08:08:03PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> I can understand this is more flexible, but it can be confusing
>> for someone new to Debian. All Linux doc's state runlevel 5 is for
>> multiuser with X, while Debian gdm installs itself to runlevel 2...
>> and this is not so obvious either. Most docs i read where talking
>> about changing runlevels in order to stop/start gui login...
>
>Not all distributions even use sysv style init.  It is faulty
>documentation that assumes any particular runlevel for any particular
>software.  That is definitely a system-specific issue.  When you see
>documentation making this mistake please submit a correction to the
>maintainer.

Maybe this is the official debian attitude, but for those of us who may
have a different distro on each machine, it gets damned confusing.
Yes, debian is different, but this is one area where they really
should come in out of the cold & rain.  Major things like runlevels vs
functions could IMO be a lot more standardized, and I feel that debian
is doing it different just to be debian.

On any system, it seems to make sense that the cli interface is
runlevel 3, and the x interface is runlevel 5.  I'm not really sure
what runlevels 1,2 & 4 are for unless its to be able to customize the
system to do what you want that might be different from the normal
users of 3 & 5.  And no one seems to have documented very well, or
called it to my attention, the debian methods & reasons, its 'just
debian'.

And thats not always a Good Thing(TM)

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this