Re: [OT] good laptops

Jacob S wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:08:29 +0100
Wim De Smet <kromagg@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/13/05, Rob Benton <rob.benton@conwaycorp.net> wrote:

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on a good quality
laptop.  I bought a Dell desktop for my mom almost a year ago and
it wasn't such a good deal.  So any place that takes trade-ins is a
plus.  I'm not really worried about compatibility with Linux since
she'll only be using Windows XP.

[ Don't buy an acer travelmate 4102WLMi]

When I was looking for a laptop everybody told me IBM was the way to
go but they're kinda hard to get around here (and expensive). They're
sold by Lenovo now but I don't think that has much bearing on their
quality. I'm pretty sure the thinkpads are pretty good, if you can get
one.

I'll second the recommendation for IBM thinkpads. But as Wim said, they
are more expensive than other laptops.
My dad has a Thinkpad T22 running Debian stable and I've been happy
with it's compatability. 3d video was enabled fairly effortlessly and
for the most part sleep and suspend work properly. (The T22 is old
enough that it's a 900Mhz PIII and came with Windows 2000, but it works
great for our purposes... it can even play DVDs pretty well.)

Ditto. I have an old Thinkpad 390. Solid as a rock. It dual boots woody and Win98SE. One of the hinges is completely broken out of the casing, but the box just keeps on running. When I have a job and can afford a new box I will replace it, but Thinkpads are right up there at the top of my list.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com