Re: [OT] good laptops

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:34:28 -0500
Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/14/05, Jacob S <stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:
> > I'll second the recommendation for IBM thinkpads. But as Wim said,
> > they are more expensive than other laptops.
>
> If the cost of a Thinkpad isn't prohibitive, and XP isn't a
> requirement, another option is to get an Apple laptop.  You get a
> friendly interface, a reasonable selection of third-party software,
> and considerably less vulnerability to malware.  I know a number of
> people who are very happy with their Powerbooks, and some of them are
> fairly hard-core Unix guys.

I've been a little down on Apple ever since I had to send an iBook in
for the Logic Board recall _twice_ and now it has started exhibiting
similar symptoms again. The good side is that Apple keeps paying for
shipping both directions and gets it back to me within a week. But
still, it gets tiring putting up with the poor performance until it's
bad enough for them to recognize the problem and then have to restore a
backup to it when I get it back. Oh, and the hard drive died once, too
(though I replaced that myself). It's an iBook G3 800Mhz with 640MB
of ram.

I still like the direction they're headed with OS X and especially the
fact they're competing with Microsoft, but I'm not so sure about their
hardware any more. The fact that they're switching to Intel chips
doesn't comfort me any, either.

Jacob