Re: sane access for non-root user

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 December 2005 at 14:28:18 -0500, Brad Sawatzky wrote:
> > > On 12/13/05, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Are you sure that the group change (ie. adding yourself to 'scanner') has
> > been applied to the shell you're running xsane from?  (Check the output of
> > 'groups' or 'id -Gn').
>
> Yes, did that.
> >
> > You may have to log out of your Xsession and log in again to get shells
> > spawned using the new/updated group assignments.  (Is there a more efficient
> > way to do this?  This seems really inelegant.)
>
> More than that, I logged out and back on again from console and then
> restarted X.  I had a feeling that was necessary, but perhaps it was
> overkill.  But yes, it is inelegant.

Hmm.  It might be useful to post the output of
  'sane-find-scanner', and
  'sudo sane-find-scanner'(or however you want to run the command as root)

What are the 'default' permissions and group (assigned by udev) on your
scanner device?

Perhaps you could try unplugging the scanner and confirming that the
appropriate device file is being removed/created by udev.  If udev is
indeed handling the device, then the application of the rules file
(/etc/udev/rules.d/025_libsane.rules on my box) is either borked (reinstall
libsane and/or udev), or there are multiple rules matching your scanner
(and the last one is screwing up the permissions set by libsane.rules).

-- Brad