Re: Xorg leaking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:48:38 -0800
Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:22:39PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:09:55PM -0800, Bill Moseley (moseley@hank.org) wrote:
> > > Anyone else experiencing leaks in Xorg?
> >
> > Yep, yep, yep....
> >
> > As gravity (David Nusinow, packager) says, "it's what it does best".
> >
> > Presumably if you want to help you could run it under valgrind.
>
> Ok, I can try -- but it seems to leak somewhat slowly.  It's just that
> I tend to keep my desktop running for months at a time.
>
> I have a root window image that updates ever five minutes.  I thought
> I saw somewhere were that might be the leak, but I couldn't see it
> leak by updating my root window.

For me it has always been process related. X seems to develop some insane
memory leak and then when I close the offending process things are ok again.
Can't recall now what where suspect culprits (I think it was something either
web/flash related or dri).

Try closing programs when that happens and see after each one if things go back
to normal.