Re: Galeon / Firefox print issues, very large fonts, unusable

First, Hugo's suggestion to use the PS printer option works.  For some
reason Galeon's print dialog won't retain that setting.

In related news, Linus says "Just use KDE":

    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html

on Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:44:57PM +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel (jstumpel@planet.nl) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >For the past week or more, testing/unstable, I've had unusable print
> >output from Galeon and Firefox browsers.
> >
> >Sample output at
> >
> >    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/galeon-print-bug/hello.html
> >    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/galeon-print-bug/galeon.ps
> >
> >... very simple source HTML file and printed output.
>
> From looking at your .ps file it seems that you use xprint.

Right.  It seemed to find its way into Debian some time back, I let it.
Any suggested alternatives and methods to get there?

> It is not likely that this problem will be resolved soon. Almost no
> xprint related problem ever is; only one person knows how xprint really
> works, and he hasn't posted anything on his own list for many months.

A bad sign.

> I've collected some hints on how to use xprint on
> http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu#T9.4.3 (your problem is not the one in
> the box "print size problems"; it is a different problem which I haven't
> yet mentioned on my page). But this will not help you to produce
> well-behaved PostScript. If you do not need international text printing,
> it is best to get rid of xprint, and go back to printing by
> PostScript/default.

I've applied the changes to my userContent.css, need to kill a mess of
browser windows and restart to see if it fixed the problem.

Peace.

    Jeff Waugh: Right, well you left an impression as an ungrateful turd
    with a triple charisma bypass.
    [Memo to Self:  learn gratitude.]
    - http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2004-January/008588.html