Re: sane access for non-root user

On Tuesday, 13 December 2005 at 14:01:06 -0500, Darryl Clarke wrote:
> On 12/13/05, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
[...]
> > Installed xsane
> > and can only access it as root.  Added myself to scanner group, but
> > still xsane finds 'no devices available' as ordinary user.  Can someone
> > remind me or point me at the relevant instructions.
> >
> > uname -r says 2.6.12-1-386. udevd is running -- I suppose that is
> > obvious as the scanner works for root.  What else is important?
>
> udev isn't setting permissions properly on the device, I would imagine.
>
> I forget exactly where though... /etc/udev/ would be a starting point.

I had already looked there, and /etc/udev/rules.d contains the line:

# Epson Corp.|Perfection 1260
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="011d", MODE="660", GROUP="sca\
nner", RUN+="/etc/hotplug.d/usb/libsane.hotplug"

Which sounds perfect to me.  Must be more to it than that, I guess.

> use 'lsusb' to show the device list
>
> When the scanner is plugged in check /proc/bus/usb/XXX/NNN where XXX
> is the bus and NNN is the device listed in lsusb output... and find
> the device and see what the permissions actually are.
>
> you can manually change the permissions on the device too, just chgrp
> scanner NNN and chmod g+rw NNN

That worked.  But I hope I don't have to do it manually every time I
reboot or hotplug the device.

Thanks a million.

--
richard