Re: apt-get install tries to REMOVE my kernel

True. but I'm sure that

A. Apt-get's dependency-checking is designed to check upward dependencies as well (i.e. when I remove Gimp , X.org will not be removed, although Gimp depends on X.org).

B. there's no program at all that even can think of removing a kernel without replacing it or something like that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the program Astrid's installing needs a newer kernel than the current...

I think the best thing is to save a copy of the kernelimage (can be found in the /boot directory, if not sure; backup the whole /boot directory) before installing.

2005/12/12, Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com>:
On 12/12/05, Joris Hooijberg <jorishooijberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you'll get a new kernel in return

Really?  Nothing in what Astrid posted seemed to indicate that to me.
The only "kernel-image" that appears is the one that's presumably
going to be removed.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh