Re: Querying packages about installed files

Simo Kauppi wrote:

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:57:59PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
I'm not much further ahead of you, so let me give you one last tip, if you didn't find it out by yourself already: apt-cache searches also by package description. This is one feature i would like to have in

Do you mean like
~$ aptitude search ~dpattern
to search "pattern" in packages' description?

Works also in the visual mode. See aptitude reference manual
(/usr/share/aptitude/README) for details about aptitude's search
patterns and other cool stuff...

aptitude (if it's there i missed it, though i went twice through the docs). The package name is often not very obvious.

Andrei

Simo
Damn, i had a feeling i only missed it :) and i realy went twice through the reference manual (not thoroughly but still...). A tool like aptitude had to have something like this. I should have searched for 'description' :)

Andrei