usb drive mounting

Hi,

I just did an apt-get upgrade for the first time in about 6 months. It
all went fine until I tried to mount a key drive as a user. I got the
error:

/dev/fatflash is not a valid block device

This is my fstab
/dev/fatflash   /mnt/memstick   vfat    rw,user,noauto          0
0

ls /dev

lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root           9 Dec 10 23:00 fatflash -> /dev/sda1

brwxrwxrwx   1 root disk      8,   1 Mar 15  2002 sda1

I fixed it by changing fstab to :
/dev/sda1   /mnt/memstick   vfat    rw,user,noauto          0       0

But my question is why can I not mount from symbolic links now? Has this
been changed for a reason?

Thanks

--
Glenn Meehan <glenn.meehan@optusnet.com.au>