Re: Alternative to Microcal Origin?

Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any free software alternative to Origin, the chart plotting
> software, with deb packages? I´m looking for suggestions, and trying to
> figure which one people seem to like more.

Depending on your needs there are plenty of options. Some feature a GUI
but the most powerful programs usually don't.

 - R (http://www.r-project.org)
 - GNUplot (http://www.gnuplot.info)
 - kst (http://omega.astro.utoronto.ca/kst)
 - Scigraphica (http://scigraphica.sourceforge.net)
 - labplot (http://labplot.sourceforge.net)
 - Scilab (http://www.scilab.org)
 - Octave (http://www.octave.org)
 - ploticus (http://ploticus.sourceforge.net)
 - quickplot (http://quickplot.sourceforge.net)
 - rlplot (http://rlplot.sourceforge.net)

There must be many more which I am not aware of.

Personally, I use R -- it's a bit of a challenge to learn at first but
it is incredibly powerfull and totally worth the effort!

The following page gives a comprehensive overview for Debian:

http://debianlinux.net/science.html#plotting

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel                          Tel. +49-8161-71 2131
Dept. of Genome Oriented Bioinformatics    Fax. +49-8161-71 2186