Re: Debian Wireless Networks

I used the NDISWrapper http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ to get a Linksys card going on Sarge. Although I was unable to get the WEP settings running.

Steve

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 07:09:26PM -0500, Leonid Grinberg wrote:
Hello,

A few hours ago, I have installed Debian Testing on a friend's laptop.
The laptop came with Windows XP, and we agreed to make a dual boot of
both. Most things work in Debian. There are a few problems, but by far
the biggest and most important is the fact that it does not work at
*all* with wireless networks. Unfortunately, neither I nor him know
almost anything about the computer. We know that it has an AMD
processor, and that's about it.

Probably not Intel Centrino then :(
I know that it is really difficult to help not knowing even what
wireless card he has, but could someone at least point me in the right
direction? I suspect that a driver and/or kernel module is not
installed or is not being started.

Boot Knoppix / Ubuntu live CD - see what they report. dmesg | less
will capture some of the stuff that scrolls off the screen as the
machine is booting. lspci - then google for ID's.

HTH,

Andy