Debian Wireless Networks

Hello,

A few hours ago, I have installed Debian Testing on a friend's laptop.
The laptop came with Windows XP, and we agreed to make a dual boot of
both. Most things work in Debian. There are a few problems, but by far
the biggest and most important is the fact that it does not work at
*all* with wireless networks. Unfortunately, neither I nor him know
almost anything about the computer. We know that it has an AMD
processor, and that's about it.

The wireless network is crucial. He uses the laptop both at home and
at school. At home, it is difficult for him to use a wired network
because of router positions, etc. At his school there is a free Wi-fi
connection which students can use, but he needs wireless to be working
for that as well.

I know that it is really difficult to help not knowing even what
wireless card he has, but could someone at least point me in the right
direction? I suspect that a driver and/or kernel module is not
installed or is not being started.

Thank you,

Leonid Grinberg
lgrinberg@gmail.com