Re: Filesharing on small LAN

Thanks for answers, though i've preferred a more direct answer, do that and that. But "the freedom" to choose, gives alot of choices.. :-) General it's a small LAN (max 10 Hosts, a couple laptops). Mostly text-docs,photos, small files from a main fileserver, but i would like to have users & groups to control the access. I can live without "automatic discovery" and don't care if i have to set up samba for any random WinClient that might apear, as long i have my beloved User/Password.

# Daniel Nilsson
I didn't explained my point very well, and what i meant is what you write regarding IP-access.

# Luis Fernando Llana Díaz
>local vpn and the restrict nfs to that network.
Okay, do you configured it in any special way, or is that just any google-search on debian vpn howto.

>I have also been using samba for quite a long time with no problems.
Also with Linux Clients, on Gnome/KDE?

#Marc
>I have a mixed XP and Linux network here
And you never have time-outs or similar? Almost every time the connection time-out's and i can't see any desktop-icons untill i force-quit it.

I took a quick a look at Unison and it seems like a way to do it. Not what i had in mind, but definitely something worth a couple of hours reading...

/Lars