Re: [HDD problem] Strange remount read-only

Gregory Soyez wrote:

If there are BadBlocks in my hard drive, the driver normally can manage them, simply not using them. I wanted to ask if there is some sort of hdparm (or sth like that) option to tell the driver "hey, avoid the badblocks".

I had basically the same problem last week and It turned into a nasty kernel panic after reboot... so I definitely advise you to backup everything you're able to ASAP !!!

good luck...
Gregor

There is the command 'badblocks'. It scans the drive look for badblocks. It is possible to feed the generated list back to some programs that will mark them, for no-use.

Look (from man:e2fsck):

-c
This option causes e2fsck to run the badblocks(8) program to find any blocks which are bad on the filesystem, and then marks them as bad by adding them to the bad block inode. If this option is specified twice, then the bad block scan will be done using a non-destructive read-write test.

Hope it helps, in the particular fs you are using.