Re: Xine Skips Horribly

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 06:25:02PM -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
Bill Marcum wrote:

You might also want to try enabling ultradma, as well. Hdparm says messing with that is dangerous, but, honestly, I never saw any kind of harm doing hdparm -X etc /dev/some-drive. If not possible, hdparm outputs an error, that's all. Check 'hdparm --help' for the -X (case) option. This shall bring you to the best possible transfer speed for the drive.

Some older drives have firmware that claim to support a particular
(U)DMA mode, but don't properly implement it.  Actually enabling support
for that mode can have catastrophic consequences.  Though, as you point
out, that is mostly not a problem, especially in modern drives.

-Roberto

Yes, I should have stressed the 'modern' issue. Most drives I tested are as new as 2001 up to now. Thanks...