Re: Stock Sarge segfaults, and later crashes!

Felix Karpfen wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:58:44 -0500, Marty wrote
(<[🔎] 4384D804.1020503@ix.netcom.com>):

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

It sounds like you may have a bad memory module.

I will run some more tests and report back if I find a hardware problem.

Regrettably, I had the same crash experience twice in the past few
weeks.

Never before that in 10 years of using PCs.

And, even more regrettably, I lack the expertise of both of the original
poster and of the follow-up adviser.

But the circumstances in which my crashes occurred were _totally_
different.

I attributed the crashes to my non-standard setup - fvwm2 XWindows Manager
and Gnome Session Manager.
So I flagged the problem with the "fvwm user group".

And was advised -  "it sounds like a faulty HD".

Which is possible.  But the computer is 18 months old and my
recent (repeat) crashes only started a few weeks ago.

For what it is worth, I installed Sarge (pre-release) in August 2004,
shortly after purchasing a new computer.  And I purchased the new
computer because my 9-year-old computer was starting to groan and I was
attempting to forestall an unrecoverable crash :-{ .

What sort of crashes?